Wednesday, February 11, 2009

carolina / duke

This is a special day around here. It's not Christmas in Carolina, but it's pretty close. You can taste excitement, breathe anticipation.

With the gravitational pull of a Death Star tractor beam, 'The Game' locks onto every conversation, every train of thought, and drags it in.

It's classic. It's epic. It's Carolina-Duke. There is nothing like this in sports. Yeah, I said it. Nothing. A national rivalry between neighboring giants.

To prepare for tonight, do yourself a favor and watch this video. Consider this clip your pre-game warmup. Like layup lines for the soul. It captures the moment and meaning in image and word. It's written by Fred Kiger, a teacher from my high school, and one of my new favorite writers. His passion for the game, especially 'The Game', is pure and poetic. You can almost smell the Carolina pines in his voice.

So, suit up in your favorite shade of blue. Sip a little Cheerwine or your momma's sweet tea. And soak up the best that basketball has to give us.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK...I can't take it! I am down here in college football land...seperated from all that is right and holy...and then you show this. I am reborn in it's genius. The sheer sight of this video propels me into pillowing clouds of exotic euphoria. The sight of Carolina blue drowns me in a flood of emotional bliss and I dont want to be rescued by the lifeguard of my soul.

All that to say...GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger dan said...

the great game of the year. made even greater by ESPN's 24-7 promotion for this game.

Thoughts on the game:
1. I think it'll be a horrible game with UNC running right over Duke (As sad as that is) its too good a game to be a blow-out.
2. Duke has had a pretty easy schedule so far in my opinion, and the only time they've played legit competition, they lost. The Michigan game to me showed the weakness of their game...
3. With that said, I think this year I might actually cheer for the Dukies...not sure how I'll feel until game time though.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Kris said...

GO TARHEELS.... AWESOME GAME..
GOTTA LOVE THOSE "CAROLINA BLUE" HEELS....hope I get to see a game in person next year....

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

The Heels decisively put down the Devils this time around, didn't they!?!

PS - - - Hello Matt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home