Wednesday, January 07, 2009

the long road to yes

On the cover of last week’s Relevant Magazine was Pete Greig, founder of the worldwide 24-7 prayer movement. (Just don’t call him that to his face. He doesn’t seem to like it very much.)

Pete is cool for many reasons. Mainly because he’s British. Which means he has all sorts of cheeky sayings (like “cheers mate”) and he adds flavor and color to otherwise bland words by spelling them with the letter ‘u’ (flavour and colour, for example).

Pete came to Asbury last year to encourage our fledgling little campus house of prayer. Hearing him speak was an important experience for me. It stirred and provoked desires in me that weren’t really dormant, but had certainly been stealing a nap. I already read (mostly) his book Red Moon Rising, and resonated strongly with the story—a story of a truly significant move of God… the kind that starts small but swells so fast you can’t possibly keep up. You can try to stay ahead of it, but you just end up bent over, holding your side, huffing “Go ahead without me. I’ll catch up later.”

I’ve always wanted to be part of something like that. Always. Since I was a kid, my favorite stories have always been about a small group of friends facing ridiculous odds. Their only hope is a fool’s hope. But they risk it, and somehow come out on the other side. Looking back, it seems like the end is inevitable. Meant to be. But in the thick of it, you have no clue how things are going to turn out for good. (Think Sam and ‘the stories that really mattered.’)

Seeing that cover immediately sparked a memory. Early last spring I spent a day with a mentor and a friend at the Abby of Gethsemane, tucked away in the Kentucky hillside. It was raining hard, and we were walking a trail surrounded by trees. I was wrestling with what to do after graduation, a months long struggle. Sarah and I were still unsure if planting a church was the right thing. There were so many unknowns, so much fear, so much potential for flat out failure.

That’s when I thought of Pete. And his story. How I had always wanted to be part of a story like that. Always. Was this that chance? Was it worth the risk of failure?

I knew then that my heart had taken another strong step toward Chapel Hill. And it wanted to drag me along.

I was so deep in thought I didn’t see it coming. But at that moment—exact moment—the trail led us out of the trees, a wide clearing opening up around us. The gray sky made the green field seem that much more vibrant and fresh.

The same thing happened in my heart. Something opened up. My will baptized beneath the first rain of spring. It wasn’t the moment, but it was a moment on the long road to yes.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger Timothy said...

"My will baptized beneath the first rain of spring. It wasn’t the moment, but it was a moment on the long road to yes."


Maybe just maybe, this will one day be the poetic summation of your life. This is your 'strangely warmed' or 'here i stand.'

Good stuff. The only thing is I wished you used more words with a 'ou' instead of 'o' to accent your louve ouf the british.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger chad said...

2 things.

1. I remember that day...and the foggy field. It was a great day.

2. I got some Pete Grieg boots for Christmas. They rock

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger jeremiah said...

love it.

Although, i thought this was an intro of you saying you guys were heading across the pond.

whshew.

much love.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Kris said...

His will is shown in the most amazing ways. Long before it was time, He began preparing your heart, instilling the desire to connect with the strugglers and the fighters. In His time is the most precious time of all.

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You communicated that beautifully! Insighful and inspiring.

You have been and always will be a light to me my friend!

Welcome back to THE HILL!!!!!!!

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Martin LaBar said...

Jan 14, 2009: I agree with Dustin's first sentence.

God bless you.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger John David Walt said...

dude-- i didn't realize chad was one of your mentors-- awesome! he's one of mine too!

remember when he fell that day!! ;-0

jd

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger *marissa* said...

matt, i am just reading your blog for the first time. good stuff! i'm praying for yall's church plant. see you guys around town :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home