Friday, May 30, 2008

the lion and lucy


Sarah and I recently returned to Narnia, going to see Prince Caspian (on the opening day, of course, due to me being a dork). My favorite scene is between Aslan and Lucy, when she dreams of meeting him in the forest. The trees magically move to form a path, revealing him to us for the first time in the film. In the book, it goes down like this…

“Welcome, child,” he said.
“Aslan,” said Lucy, “you’re bigger.”
“That is because you are older, little one,” answered he.
“Not because you are?”
“I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.”

Lewis writes theology into every word and roar from Aslan’s mouth. I love this thought…that as we grow older and wiser, as we further feel out the edges of our intellect, God grows larger (though never older) in our eyes. At least when we see and think rightly. Even as we receive degrees declaring us ‘masters of divinity,’ we still fail to corner the mystery. This should not be frustrating, but deeply encouraging and inspiring. It is an invitation to move further up, and further in, finding a snowy wood on the other side of the wardrobe, and an entire world stretching out beyond that.

As we outgrow our bedtime stories, there is still one Story that will continue to outgrow us.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Blogger jeremiah said...

we still fail to corner the mystery...As we outgrow our bedtime stories, there is still one Story that will continue to outgrow us.

this is so huge, great words bro.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I can only imagine.... "when she dreams of seeing him...." As we pass from this world, I can see the angels stepping aside to form the path that will allow us to see Him for the first time, and He says "welcome child"... Whoooooo what a picture... what we wait for all of our lives....

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger chad said...

in the beginning was the roar....

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miriam and I loved this movie...and the scene that you speak of was beautiful...I love your words in this post.

But come on...opening day? Let me guess...you camped out all night before the movie dressed like Trumpkin the dwarf and Sarah came dressed as Reepicheep the talking mouse.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger The LeRoys said...

Actually I came dressed as Frodo and Sarah was Princess Leia. How embarassing once we realized our mistake.

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Martin LaBar said...

Well said.

I'm afraid that the movies are getting away from the books, though. If they do _The Magician's Nephew_, I predict that they will spend half the movie on the battle for Charn, between Jadis and her sister, which takes about 3 sentences in the book, and describes it as a long-ago event.

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

 
At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ӏ blog frequently and І гeally apprеcіate yοur informatіon.
The article has really peaked my interеst.
I'm going to bookmark your blog and keep checking for new information about once a week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

Feel free to visit my blog post; TENS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home