Saturday, August 22, 2009

dad

One of my favorite writers/thinkers of late, Alan Hirsch, recently sent out the following tweet: "A saint is a person who makes it easier for others to believe in God."

That makes me think of my dad.

We threw a surprise party for his 60th birthday last night, and it had me reflecting on that quote. I have found in working with teens and college students that an entire generation is trying to navigate through broken relationships with fathers, and the real effect that has on how they view God... and how they think God views them.

I am deeply grateful for my dad, who loves and leads in such a way that makes it natural and possible to believe in God as a good, loving Father. My brothers and I are blessed for that. And at the same time, we are acutely aware that many sons and daughters have experienced a different reality, and this very same relationship has defined and affirmed their disbelief.

So, calling all saints: let your life be a reason to believe.

Thanks dad.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Matt Guthrie said...

Dan was a great role model for those who didn't call him dad. He has influenced a generation of youth & young adults.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Justin said...

So thankful for his friendship and leadership. Your dad is no doubt a man making it easier for others to believe in a loving Heavenly Father!

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt!
Your Dad is contagious....you have "caught" what he has lived out in his life & for that we all have been blessed!Love You & Sarah
B&D Estepp

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Matt
Your dad is one-of-a-kind.... he is a wonderful dad, husband, brother, and son... I am proud to be his sibling...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home