Friday, August 08, 2008

08 / 08 / 08

Driving back home last night after a late work session with Justin, I start praying for Chapel Hill—the people and the town. Praying that Jesus will teach me how to live and love like He would. I decide to skip the shortcut, and drive the long way home, taking me down Franklin Street. Just a moment or two after making that decision, my phone buzzes.

Maybe it’s Sarah checking in. Or Jeremiah. I left him a rambling, "trying to be funny" voicemail earlier.

Instead, it’s my phone's calendar appointment reminder for an event labeled “08/08/08: Where are you? And what are you doing?”

Several months ago, probably somewhere back in early March, Sarah and I had no clue what we were going to do after seminary. We were searching, wrestling, wondering. In the throes of this confusion, I picked out 08/08/08 and wrote myself a note in the future. ‘By then, we will be somewhere, doing something,’ I thought. ‘Wonder what it will be.’

So, last night around midnight, my phone buzzes with a note from the past.

08 / 08 / 08: Where are you? And what are you doing?

The answer: Headed down Franklin Street. Praying for Chapel Hill.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger jeremiah said...

This is beautiful.
...And not beautiful like a 10 foot jumper or getting Fruit Loops on sale kinda beautiful. But, for real, beautiful.
You've inspired me to do the same...story of the last 2 years of my life bro.
MUCH love.

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Cool

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Kris said...

God knew where you would be on 08-08-08..... isn't it just like Him to remind you? I had no idea we would be sitting in Portland with a 6mo-yr contract..one we had wanted a year ago..now I know why the door slammed shut twice to San Fran.... hmmmm will we ever learn? I can only imagine sometimes how God must shake his head at us.. and say.. "will they ever learn to trust???"
love you guys
Aunt K

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger Martin LaBar said...

I agree with Kris's first sentence.

Good think you weren't asleep when the phone went off!

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome dude. Funny how things turn out when we follow God's desires.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been cool to read about your journey, I believe God has something big planned for you.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger ode2immortality said...

:-)

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger r o b said...

great blog entry matt. its always fun to reflect on those "where will i be...?" moments and to see how God provides! hope life is treating you guys well!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home