Saturday, September 30, 2006

Hoosiers Weekend 06




Here’s to an era gone by. A day when the true ballers and shot callers rocked black high top chucks, ‘quitter’ socks, and shiny sugar shorts (with, for some unknown reason, belts). It is about time that these golden greats received the respect they deserve. So, last weekend a small band of brothers set out to do just that. Gathered from the four winds, they came. This is their story…

Okay. May bad on the dramatic intro. I couldn’t help it. Anyway… my ‘old school homies’ came to visit good ol’ Wilmore last weekend to help me celebrate my 30th birthday. We dubbed it ‘The Jimmy Chitwood Invitational’ because on Friday night we all watched “Hoosiers” on a giant screen (thanks Justin), and some of us may or may not have teared up…again. But just a little. The next morning, we drove 3 ½ hours to Indiana to play ball in the actual gym where they filmed the movie! That’s right…the Hickory Huskers’ homecourt. It is preserved to look just like the film. (Check out thehoosiergym.com.) Amazing. Here are a few pictures to commemorate the pilgrimage. Sorry I am a sweaty beast in most of them. The cool old fella you see is a man named Reid. He volunteers at the gym as resident story teller, tour guide and hoosiers historian.
Much love to my fellas…my best friends in the world…those that I have begun to describe as the fellowship (or, to borrow a very fitting phrase from Tim K, ‘the brotherhood’). Even if you weren't there, you know who you are. I love you guys. Also, thanks to my sweet Sarah, the mastermind behind the whole weekend (and everything else that’s good in my life). And, of course, we tip our hats to Shooter, for reminding us to never get caught watchin’ the paint dry.



1 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Blogger bekadean said...

I love it! The only thing that might have made the pictures more memorable, would have been if y'all had decided to model some of those infamous shorts that have so gracefully been eliminated from any and all sporting attire. Glad you had fun man! Happy 3-0!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home