Wednesday, June 07, 2006

something in the way she moves

This is a good day. Three years ago today-- June 7, 2003-- I married Sarah. That, my friends, was a great move.

A couple of nights ago I was reflecting back on our wedding. The people that were there to share it with us. The way she looked gliding gracefully down the aisle in her dress, with every eye frozen on her. The way I wore my tux, striking the perfect balance between classic sophistication and ground breaking cool. (Okay, I may have exaggerated that last part a little…they call that creative license.)

One thing I will always remember about that day is that I wasn’t nervous. Not in the least bit. That is a very strange thing for me. I get nervous about everything. I try to hide it, but it’s there. This past Sunday I preached in a tiny country church with only about 16 people in attendance… I was nervous. Just yesterday I had a question in this summer class I’m taking… got nervous about raising my hand and sounding stupid, so I whispered it to the guy in front of me and told him to ask it. That’s just me. I get nervous.

Yet, on the biggest day of my life, standing on the edge of a moment that would change everything forever, I wasn’t nervous. I was calm. I was relaxed. I was at peace. It’s not because I was naïve enough to believe that the road ahead would be an easy one. I was fully aware of the sometimes-painful process of forging two into one. I knew this thing I was walking into was serious and deep and difficult. But I also knew whom I was walking with. And there was something about making this vow to her and with her that put me in a place of peace.

I think James Taylor said it best. “There’s something in the way she moves, looks my way, or calls my name that seems to leave this troubled world behind.” That’s it. There’s just something about this girl. She sets my heart on fire, but she puts my mind at ease.

2 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger bekadean said...

With tears in my eyes, I ask the Lord to bless me, one day, with the kind of love that you two share. I am truly encouraged by the two of you, individually and collectively. I love you guys!

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Keri said...

Absolutely beautiful. Matt, it doesn't matter what you're writing (or talking...even though I've only heard you speak once) about, the Lord works through you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home