Thursday, May 17, 2007

the golden sessions

My brother Josh is graduating from Asbury this week. Over the last three years, we have had the honor and pleasure of sharing this seminary experience with each other. Who gets to do that? Who gets to walk through seminary with his brother? I am humbled by the privilege.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about friendship and brotherhood. I have been blessed in my life, with two brothers that are my best friends, and friends that are like brothers. They are sure signs and symbols of God’s grace in my life. And I am deeply thankful. C.S. Lewis said it right (imagine that) in his rich work, The Four Loves:

“…each member of the circle feels, in his secret heart, humbled before all the rest. Sometimes he wonders what he is doing there among his betters. He is lucky beyond desert to be in such company. Especially when the whole group is together, each bringing out all that is best, wisest, or funniest in all the others. Those are the golden sessions; when four or five of us after a hard day’s walking have come to our inn; our feet spread out towards the blaze and our drinks at our elbows; when the whole world, and something beyond the world, opens itself to our minds as we talk. Life- natural life- has no better gift to give. Who could have deserved it?”

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Sometimes I wonder if people are even Christians if they haven't read C.S. Lewis?

Am I even joking?

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger dan said...

i understand the whole leaving my brother behind! it was for me the hardest part of going to college...i feel your pain!

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post...

To quote the great singer/poet James Taylor...

"Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall...all you got to do is call...and I'll be there...you've got a friend"

Love you...Dust

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger r o b said...

great quote by CS Lewis. thanks for sharing your thoughts matt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home